Oct. 13, 2012
Happy Game Day Bears! As we get ready to beat the Cougars tonight, it’s time to think about what wines will go best with a game that we watch on television. Here are a few suggestions that I think will make for an especially fun evening:
- Sparkling wine with potato chips — Crisp sparkling wine is the perfect match for the oil and salt in the chips.
- Sparkling wine with sushi — Can you say YUM?!?
- Sauvignon Blanc — We are playing the big kitty cats from WASU tonight. So why not drink a wine that people say smells like something that comes out of tom cats? 🙂 More importantly, Sauvignon Blanc is one of the food friendliest white wines around. It pairs well with seafood, grilled white meat, pasta dishes and semi-soft cheeses such as brie and havarti.
- Chardonnay and Pinot Noir — I did a little googling to see what cougar tastes like. Several bloggers said it’s a somewhat boring chicken-like, non-gamey meat. If you’e serving cougar tonight, these wines will be a good match.
- Zinfandel — For your pizza course, you can choose many different red wines, from Syrah to Merlot to Cabernet and beyond. For tonight’s game, I’m lobbying for a Zin because I love the black pepper notes associated with this variety, and I think those spicy notes are a great way to light a fire under the Bears as they put the heat on the Cougars.
- Hot mulled wine – To celebrate our 3rd win of the season, end your festivities tonight by carefully simmering 1 bottle of Syrah, 2 cups of cranberry juice, 1 cup of orange juice, 3 cinnamon sticks, 5-6 whole cloves and 2/3 cup sugar.