Harvey Wallbanger Cocktail & Cake
This is a twofer recipe from the NFL Gameday Cookbook. The only trick is that it tastes best with Duncan Hines orange cake mix which is almost impossible to find. Some turned up at our local dented can store and I bought the whole stock. The alternative is to use yellow cake mix with some orange extract.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
In each of two separate large glasses, pour 1/4 cup of the Galliano, 1 ounce of the vodka, and 3/4 cup of the orange juice. Put ice in 1 of the glasses, stir, and drink it. Set the other glass aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil and eggs. Add the reserved cocktail to the mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Gently fold the oranges into the batter. Pour the batter evenly into the Bundt pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it to a rack to cool completely. Garnish with whipped cream to serve, or (in our version) make a glaze for the cake.
- 1/2 cup Galliano liquer, divided
- 2 ounces mandarin orange vodka, divided
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice, divided
- 1 box orange cake mix (18 1/2 ounces)
- One 3.4-ounce box of instant vanilla pudding mix.
- 1 pint sour cream – we used non-fat sour cream – works fine
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil – I increase the non-fat sour cream and sometimes drop the vegetable oil completely.
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten (or egg substitute)
- One 8.4-ounce can mandarin orange slices, drained and chopped
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Optional sugar glaze